Discussion Forums

New feature: dual maps w/configurable switching

Want the ECU+ to make you breakfast in the morning? Did the software light your basement on fire? Chime in here.

New feature: dual maps w/configurable switching

Postby tlcoll1 » Fri May 04, 2007 12:42 am

Here's a new feature coming in the next ECU+ firmware/software release: dual maps. The new firmware will hold two sets of fuel and timing maps, and you'll be able to get the unit to switch between the two maps based on a variety of values.

One of the values you can switch on is an external switch input. This is a ECU+ input that accepts a 0v or +5v input from an external device. Alternately, you can directly wire up a cheapo Radio Shack toggle switch for in-car control. (Note that ECU+ silver box units with serial number 2000-2099 don't have this external switch input, though the boxes can be retrofitted with all of the latest hardware do-dads for a small fee. Send me e-mail if you're interested.)

See the screenshots for how this whole deal works. On the fuel and timing map editing screens, you can toggle between the primary and alternate maps. Then just configure the conditions for the maps to switch on, and you're done. I've implemented different color sets for the primary and alternate fuel and timing maps. When you're logging, the on-screen map displays switch colors on the fly to show you which map set you're using. The whole thing turned out pretty sweet.

One caveat: switching based on boost isn't in yet, because it depends on the next feature on my to-do list. Once that new feature is done, switching based on boost will work.

There's a ton of applications for this. Most common I'd think would be when using a nitrous/alchohol/water injection system or when you want to full-time keep a "track map" hanging around. You could also potentially use this along with an external switch to set a bad-performance valet mode, I guess.

As I mentioned, this'll be in the next firmware/software release. I'm getting pretty close to being done with features for that release. Watch for an upcoming post that'll talk about what's done and what's left to do.

Tom
Attachments
mapsw1.jpg
Edit either map set with a mouse click.
mapsw1.jpg (48.78 KiB) Viewed 6066 times
mapsw2.jpg
You can easily configure which map set is used.
mapsw2.jpg (40.2 KiB) Viewed 6065 times
mapsw3.jpg
Logged maps change colors on the fly.
mapsw3.jpg (38.75 KiB) Viewed 6066 times
tlcoll1
Site Admin

Postby ArcaineGST » Fri May 04, 2007 8:09 pm

This is sweet Tom! :D It'll be nice to have the two maps ready for switch at any time. Can you switch em while you're rolling tho? or should you be stopped, like how it is now?

Can't wait!!
ArcaineGST

Postby tlcoll1 » Fri May 04, 2007 8:12 pm

All the conditions are continuously evaluated, so you can certainly switch on the fly.

Tom
tlcoll1
Site Admin

Postby ArcaineGST » Fri May 04, 2007 8:17 pm

HELL YEAHHAAAAAA!!!! :D :D :D

Ohh and as for the top speed, i should have time to do it soon, and let u know.
ArcaineGST

Postby AWDSM97 » Fri May 04, 2007 11:49 pm

Wow this is amazing. This is one of those things that I would have never thought about but is very helpful when I want to run E85! Big Thanks to Big Tom!
AWDSM97

Return to Feature Requests and Bug Reports