Discussion Forums

MUT-II diagnostic and logging support done

Want the ECU+ to make you breakfast in the morning? Did the software light your basement on fire? Chime in here.

MUT-II diagnostic and logging support done

Postby tlcoll1 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:51 am

As part of my ongoing effort to make the ECU+ the ultimate tuning solution, I've implemented a new feature that might be of interest to a number of folks: MUT-II diagnostics and datalogging.

MUT-II is the protocol that's used on the early 1990's DSMs and still works on today's EVOs. It's a slow-to-medium speed protocol that lets you see some stock ECU parameters that are normally not visible externally, most notably the stock ECU's "knock sum." This is the protocol used by freeware loggers like MMCD, EvoScan and Mitsulogger.

In addition to the ECU+'s current OBD-II support (the mid-90's and up common diagnostic protocol), the ECU+ can now display a real-time pane of MUT-II information with the click of a mouse.

To supplement the MUT-II display capability, I've also implemented logging of any of these MUT-II parameters. You can select up to 8 different MUT-II parameters and log them simultaneously with the native ECU+ logging values. With this, the ECU+ gives you the best of all worlds logging - log normally invisible stock ECU signals (like knock sum and the fuel trims) at the slow MUT-II rate alongside the higher resolution native signals (like knock amplitude, O2 voltages, RPM, TPS, MAS frequencies, air/fuel ratio and many more) that the ECU+ already supports. In addition, the ECU+ Windows software has been modified to fully support the MUT-II values, including proper handling of different MUT-II calibrations, and the ability to overlay multiple graphs from multiple sources (where the MUT-II logged values may not have been logged in the same "slot").

Screenshots are attached below.

Thanks to MalibuJack for help with some of the MUT-II scaling.

This capability will be in the next ECU+ software/firmware release. It'll be free to current ECU+ silver box customers, of course.

Tom
Attachments
mut2-1.jpg
The current OBD-II pane.
mut2-1.jpg (40.63 KiB) Viewed 28518 times
mut2-2.jpg
The new MUT-II pane.
mut2-2.jpg (39.01 KiB) Viewed 28518 times
mut2-3.jpg
Select the OBD type and calibration.
mut2-3.jpg (25.39 KiB) Viewed 28513 times
mut2-4.jpg
Select any 8 MUT-II values.
mut2-4.jpg (44.3 KiB) Viewed 28513 times
mut2-5.jpg
Logging knock sum and voltage along with AFR and RPMs. Note the expanded engine monitor display.
mut2-5.jpg (179.15 KiB) Viewed 28515 times
tlcoll1
Site Admin

Postby Butcher » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:43 am

it's very good! i want to out my palm with mmcd from car :)
Tom, its great present to NY ! :)
Good Luck!
Butcher
Eagle Talon TSI AWD 92
1/4 mile: 11.8
Butcher

Postby wreck'd » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:48 pm

It would be good if you seperated the engine monitor so you had the MUT-2 stuff diferentiated from the original ECU Plus stuff.
wreck'd

Postby tlcoll1 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:03 pm

Give me an idea of how that might look. The engine monitor is getting kinda big as-is, so I'm hesitant to add more stuff to it, but I'm open to suggestions.

Tom
tlcoll1
Site Admin

Postby honki24 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:34 am

you are my best friend. All I really needed was knocksum so that I could use only ONE logger at once! yay! That example log: did it really have that much knock under those parameters??

All I need is "based on X boost, ouput X voltage", it would be really cool if it were pulse width modulated so that I could better control my alch kit, which as of now is just on/off w/ a pressure switch.
Advoacate of the Theocratic Reign.
http://www.FlatlineMotorsports.net
03 Evo 8
honki24

Postby rogersmith » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:05 am

I was wondering, if we're to use this new MUT logging capability this would mean that we won't be able to flash our ECUs right?
rogersmith

Postby tlcoll1 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:30 pm

The issue with MUT-II logging, OBD-II and reflashing is that all three share the OBD-II "K" line to the stock ECU. I have a patch available (e-mail me) that modifies the ECU+ firmware to software-disconnect from that line when the ECU+ doesn't need to talk to the stock ECU. For most people, that allows full ECU+ OBD-II stuff to work (and by extension, MUT-II logging, since that's only active when doing a capture) while also allowing reflashing. This has worked for all-but one person, AFAIK. Once the MUT-II logging is released, this patch will be part of the released code.

Tom
tlcoll1
Site Admin

Postby nothere » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:17 am

in the mean time Roger, you can configure the obd2 lead (22)on the harness for an evo8, to open or close depending on your wants.
nothere

Postby honki24 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:14 am

Why am I always the odd man out!?!?! Still got P0300 and can't flash ecu....

Tom, if you could have this release out before the end of this month (or at least some beta that could log knock count) I would give you the biggest E-hug ever! :P
Advoacate of the Theocratic Reign.
http://www.FlatlineMotorsports.net
03 Evo 8
honki24

Postby tlcoll1 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:27 pm

I think I'd use that e-hug elsewhere! No way will all of the new stuff be done by the end of the month, though as we talked about previously, you can try out the snapshot with its caveats.

Tom
tlcoll1
Site Admin

Postby vroomevo » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:38 pm

Me too Tom. i will give you bigger hug!!!

btw, i was wondering for the safety feature, instead of using knock voltage, how about using knock sum. for example, knock sum above 4-5, then pull timing X and add fuel X.
Also, how about indicators for knock sum? will this is next-next release??
vroomevo

Postby tlcoll1 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:29 pm

Take a look here for a discussion of using knock sum in place of the knock voltage for detonation control:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showpost.p ... stcount=14

Tom
tlcoll1
Site Admin

Postby nothere » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:01 pm

so, darn it, my driving around like a little old lady is the reason for my p0300?
nothere

Postby vroomevo » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:04 pm

btw, MUTII logging is not released yet right? i am currently using both ecuplus and mitsulogger at the same time so that i can compare knock voltage and knock sum. it's kinda...pita to hook up both usb to the computer...
just checking to make sure i am not missing anything...
vroomevo

Re: MUT-II diagnostic and logging support done

Postby Deepnine » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:02 am

MUT logging on USDM 1995-1996 Eclipse isn't working.

But with Evoscan 2.4 +Openport cable it does work. Maybe there is someting interessting to find out.
Deepnine

Next

Return to Feature Requests and Bug Reports