New feature: gear-based fuel and timing offsets

Want the ECU+ to make you breakfast in the morning? Did the software light your basement on fire? Chime in here.
tlcoll1
Site Admin

New feature: gear-based fuel and timing offsets

Post by tlcoll1 »

Here's a new feature that's been on my TODO list for a while: the ECU+ can now change the fuel and timing slightly based on what gear you're in. This is handy because sometimes you'll tune for a given gear (3rd is most common) and find that the tune is slightly off for one of the other gears. This feature lets you correct that on a per-gear basis, and a set of offsets is available for each of the ECU+'s two map sets.

See the screenshot for how you set this up.

Tom
Attachments
Gear-based fuel and timing offset setup.
Gear-based fuel and timing offset setup.
gear_based_offsets.JPG (53.2 KiB) Viewed 15256 times

honki24

Re: New feature: gear-based fuel and timing offsets

Post by honki24 »

Wow, that's actually amazing. That pretty much makes this the very best piggyback I've ever heard of. If I tuned piggyback style this would be the best thing since sliced bread!!! Very cool Tom. If this thing could be ported over to other vehicles you could kill Apexi SAFC sales.

Edit: However, while ordering some stuff from MachV yesterday I glanced at ECU+ prices and they were through the roof so maybe if you could sell in the $300 range again the above would be true... but at the $700 mark you're competing against the stand-alones.
Advoacate of the Theocratic Reign.
http://www.FlatlineMotorsports.net
03 Evo 8

honki24

Post by honki24 »

One other thing I might interject is this: I've noticed in my logging (with the crazy huge formula) gears every now and then the value will drop down to zero or the wrong gear or something... which isn't a problem for me because I know I didn't magically lose my gear in the middle of a pull at the track but if you are using a similar formula that may at some time drop out and your tuning relies on that formula's consistency then you may have a momentary tuning issue.
03 Evo 8

Omegared

Post by Omegared »

That is amazing.

tlcoll1
Site Admin

Post by tlcoll1 »

honki24 - I'm not sure why Mach V would still have 'em listed on their web site as the ECU+ isn't for sale any more. But just FYI, the $300 range is too low to be worth building. There's a pretty good amount of parts and labor in the ECU+, which doesn't leave much room for profit.

On the gear issue, I may need to do some tweaking. In general, though, shifts should go to zero but normal driving shouldn't. Do you see funny gear values in normal driving?

Tom

96 awd of the 808

Post by 96 awd of the 808 »

Can i get a copy of the current beta?
850cc,Precision Turbo scm-6262,FMIC,3" Exhaust,PLX Wideband,Chromally FlyWheel,Fidanza 6 Puck Clutch,255 LPHFuel pump,AFPR,Arias pistons,EagleRods,Crower springs,Fearra valves, B.C. 280* Cams,Greddy bov,3.5" maf,Tien SS Suspension

tlcoll1
Site Admin

Post by tlcoll1 »

Hang out for a bit - I have some more stuff to get in and then I'll make some beta releases.

Just FYI, the reason I don't usually let folks run beta software is that the on-disk file format changes with each new feature added. Every time I give someone a beta, I have to support the on-disk format of that beta in all future releases, and it's be easy to end up with 20 versions I'd have to support. But fear not, my TODO list is dropping rapidly of late so there'll be a new release in the not-too-distant future.

Tom

honki24

Post by honki24 »

I've got one acronym for you. LCS. lol China man, China. Makes no sense to have an aerospace engineer building circuit boards!

With regards to the gear, yes it does drop out every now and then, but I think it's due to hard acceleration that causes the ECU+ to miss one of the readings needed to create the gear value. It then zeros out. I've attached the quickest printscreen I could find.

EDIT: the website wouldn't allow me to attach it. It just kept saying "waiting for www.ecuplus.com... at the bottom after I clicked the "add the file" button.
03 Evo 8

jdm02typer

Post by jdm02typer »

i'm tellin you right now. this is the kind of stuff a couple of my friends were talkin about that would be a great addition to explore rally racing the 90 talon. 2nd and 3rd gear especially trying to get balance to hook up and steady the power and gaining without killing the drive. i can't wait till i get turbo back now.
GT 300
1990 eagle talon Tsi

tlcoll1
Site Admin

Post by tlcoll1 »

honki24 wrote:One other thing I might interject is this: I've noticed in my logging (with the crazy huge formula) gears every now and then the value will drop down to zero or the wrong gear or something... which isn't a problem for me because I know I didn't magically lose my gear in the middle of a pull at the track but if you are using a similar formula that may at some time drop out and your tuning relies on that formula's consistency then you may have a momentary tuning issue.
FYI I spent some time on this in the last few weeks and have gear calculation pretty well set-up. Internally, the ECU+ maintains two gear numbers - one that drops out in-between shifts and one that doesn't (it essentially figures out the nearest gear). These'll be used as appropriate in features that depend on gear. The fuel and timing offsets, for example, will go back to zero in-between shifts.

Tom

Omegared

Post by Omegared »

Bringing this back from the dead...

This Sunday I was at the track. I got lots of knock in 4th gear. So with this feature I would be able to pull some timing out in 4th gear but I would not be able to pull it out exactly where its happening? I was getting some knock in the 5500-7k range. On this new feature if I took out 2 or 3 degrees of timing in 4th gear, it would essentially take out the 2 or 3 deg through out the entire gear?

tlcoll1
Site Admin

Post by tlcoll1 »

Right. Luckily for you, 5500-7k is pretty much the only range you use at the track.

Tom

honki24

Post by honki24 »

tlcoll1 wrote:Right. Luckily for you, 5500-7k is pretty much the only range you use at the track.

Tom
lol, true.
03 Evo 8

Return to “Feature Requests and Bug Reports”