Customizable MUT logging

Want the ECU+ to make you breakfast in the morning? Did the software light your basement on fire? Chime in here.
honki24

Customizable MUT logging

Post by honki24 »

Hey Tom, any way we can define a few MUT channels to log rather than just having stationary ones that you've predefined? I'd like to log whether I'm in my primary or secondary maps. This would be done like this: http://forums.evolutionm.net/showpost.p ... stcount=83

But I imagine just making a few configurable MUT logging channels would be nice so that we can view whatever new thing comes out.
Advoacate of the Theocratic Reign.
http://www.FlatlineMotorsports.net
03 Evo 8

tlcoll1
Site Admin

Post by tlcoll1 »

The issue that I see is that for a given MUT-II value, the ECU+ needs to know:

1. The ID code.
2. The name to display, as both a "short" name and a long name. The former is used on the Engine Monitor pane.
3. The transformation to apply: (5/9)*32+value read, for example.
4. The default and maximum Y axis values to use on the graphs.

Number 3 is icky because it has to a run-time calculation, which is kinda slow. Number 2 is icky because these values need to be stored in the head unit, and I try to store as little as possible there. If I only stored the ID code, then when someone opened up your capture, they'd get jibberish since the software wouldn't know how to interpret it.

Let me think about a way around these issues.

Tom

rogersmith

Post by rogersmith »

You could do it Honki like I described here.
viewtopic.php?t=726

Or if you want to keep 2-byte load logged then you could log some other MUT that you don't really need like maybe MUT RPM and change the address that RPM points to what you want, like that ALTMAP. Then all you'd have to do is reverse the math function on RPM and then apply your ALTMAP math function to those values.

I'd do a little more checking into my second suggestion though because I'm not sure the ECU uses data like MUT RPM for something else.

rogersmith

Post by rogersmith »

Or Tom, to solve your complexity problem you could just implement logging of MUT 00 up to maybe 0A or something and just log data on those channels raw. You're doing it with '2-byte load' anyway. Then leave it up to us users to apply the math to the raw data. Also we don't need this data in the engine monitor pane because it would be raw data. I think you could take out 2-byte load 00 and 01 from the pane because it's useless data without having the math function applied to it.

How many requestID channels should we have?
Also we need to find if 00-0A are unused.

And Honki, you don't need to have ALTMAP on requestID 83. You can have any requestID point to it, like any one from 00-0A

honki24

Post by honki24 »

Roger: I'm going to be honest with you, I have very little clue when it comes to these MUT locations and such... Really I depend on people like Jack of trades, tephra, etc to formulate these for me. Like I've said before, I'm no EE and don't pretend to do well in that realm. Give me vehicle dynamics or mechanics, and I've got something... but I need some help on all this computer stuff. I heavily depend on Tom and others to make understandable tuning parameters out of crazy code jibberish. If you can walk me through changing, say, the two-byte rpm or some other pre-defined ECU+ logged MUTII val to the altmap values, by all means, help a brotha out. :wink:
03 Evo 8

rogersmith

Post by rogersmith »

Honki, I'll write up something explaining what the XML data in ECUFlash represents and also what the addresses you change in the actual ECUFlash program represent.

Tom, I corresponded with a guy that's been doing a lot of reverse engineering of the Evo ROM. He says requestIDs 40-4F aren't used for anything important. This goes for all evo roms (all model years). 15 channels that we could log would be plenty I believe.

This way of just logging these channels raw is the best way for everyone I think. This way it won't slow down the ECU+ program. Plus so far just Honki and I are interested in this so my suggested method is easiest for Tom to implement. We don't want him spending a lot of time just to please two guys. :D

honki24

Post by honki24 »

That sounds good to me, so long as the output is something understandable.
03 Evo 8

tlcoll1
Site Admin

Post by tlcoll1 »

Roger -

Dunno about logging them as raw values. I'd think that in no time someone would be wanting me to convert them to something else and then I'm back to square one. Probably better to get working something generic.

Tom

rogersmith

Post by rogersmith »

Tom, I don't follow you. You already have ECU+ logging 2-byte load as raw values. What I'm suggesting is no different from your implementation of 2-byte load except for the fact you might name each channel something generic like MUT40 , MUT41, etc.

Anyway let's do a test first and see if I can get Honki to log his ALTMAP on MUT00 or 01. What rom do you have Honki? I'll try to figure out which one from evom (if you have your car type listed)

honki24

Post by honki24 »

I'm using 94170014 V5 Tephra ROM.
03 Evo 8

rogersmith

Post by rogersmith »

Okay you will probably get this...

MUT00 - should have 895C in there already , put in 0x8425

MUT01 - should have 895D in there already, put in 0x8929

Then after you make a log you'll want to export it to CSV and open it in Excel.

Evo 2 byte load 0 you can leave as is. This should be AltMapActive. I don't know what normals values are. I think they said 0-3.

For AltMapVoltage make another column in excel and apply the math formula to it using values from the evo 2 byte load 1 column.
Formula : (x/256)*5

This is just temporary testing. You can always change the MUT00 and 01 in ecuflash back so you can log 2-byte load again.

honki24

Post by honki24 »

Could you give me the addresses to two different MUT bytes? I use 2-byte load EVERY time I drive the car. Could you give me the definition for two other bytes that ECU+ is already grabbing? (like rpm or something silly).
03 Evo 8

tlcoll1
Site Admin

Post by tlcoll1 »

rogersmith wrote:Tom, I don't follow you. You already have ECU+ logging 2-byte load as raw values. What I'm suggesting is no different from your implementation of 2-byte load except for the fact you might name each channel something generic like MUT40 , MUT41, etc.
Got that. I'm suggesting that *I'm* not happy doing it in raw mode, as I think customers will want some kind of way to scale and name the data. I'd prefer to "do it right" rather than taking the quick fix on this.

Tom

rogersmith

Post by rogersmith »

So what should it be then?

User selects channel(s) they want to log (40-4F)
After channel is selected they are able to input a name for the channel.
After channel name is input user inputs a math formula to apply to that channel

honki24

Post by honki24 »

To avoid loading it into the "box" how about this: The logged variable is only viewable after saving the log. So then ECU+ would just realtime log all the data from the box (including specified MUT values) and then in the windows options you could name a new graph and enter the math you want to calculate it, including picking your Y axis. This info (graph) would, of course, only be viewable AFTER the log is complete. This means you save your log and behind the scenes the ECU+Win software applies the math, builds the graph, and saves the file. Then when you open it for review you can see the newly made graph.

That is one possible option for how it can be done so that you don't have to add more math to the box. That is, if it is really a big deal.
03 Evo 8

Return to “Feature Requests and Bug Reports”